If I have a mother with Alzheimer’s dementia and need to petition for conservatorship of her and her estate, which forms do I need to start the process?

Asked on July 30, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This must be a very difficult time for you and it can be a very daunting task to take on.  I would really suggest that you consult with an attorney.  But the California Courts give a great overview of the process.  Copy and past this link:


And here are the forms:


I would go to your local county Probate Court and ask for a packet if they have it. Many do.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.