If I’m starting a home based child care service business, what legal structure would you recommend?

Asked on February 20, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A limited liability company, or LLC, is probably the best choice. As the name implies, it limits your liability, or protects you from most (but not all) legal actions arisign out of the conduct of your business. (Note: you'd still be liable for any personally guaranteed debts and for any tortious acts, you *personally* commit, such as if you ran into someone while driving for work.) You can elect pass through tax treatment (same as a subchapter-S corporation), so as to avoid double taxation. And its simpler, with less paperwork and record-keepting, than a corporation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.