If I am on my H1 B visa, what are my rights to leave and re-enter the US?

I got my visa stamped in Canada 15 days ago. I have an employer but was working for a client. My contract with my client ended yesterday, however I still work full-time for my employer. I would like to take an unpaid vacation for 4 months. I want to travel to India. Is it safe to take a 4 months unpaid vacation when am on my H1B? Will I need a client offer letter when I enter the USA after 4 months?

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In answer to your question, so long as your H1B visa is intact and has not expired before you leave for India and before you return to the United States, you have nothing to worry about upon re-entry to this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.