If I am a US citizen, can bring my 17 year old nephew from Iraq here due to considerations for his safety?

It is very urgent because the conditions are more dangerous right now in Baghdad. I love him to death, he is the only boy in the family since the rest are dead due to an explosion

Asked on July 25, 2014 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you cannot just bring him to the US and you cannot adopt him if he is over the age of 16.  If he us able to get a visitors visa he may qualify for humanitarian parole if he has no family left in Iraq .  Alternatively you can try to see with your local school if they can help with student visa for him to study in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.