After a separation, is it a law that the man must see his children or can he just pay support?

What if he just wants no visitation?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Family Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A court order gives the man the right to see his children, but he is not required to exercise those periods of visitation.  Even though not required, the man should just tell the mother that he plans not to invoke his right to visitation so that she won't show up on his door step with the kids on his day for visitation.  The only time an enforcement action will be brought is when you violate a requirement-- like the payment of child support. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.