What can I do about an outstanding felony warrant?

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since warrants don't expire, you need to deal with this immediately. Considering that a felony charge is involved, the authorities will most likely come looking for you. Therefore, turning yourself in ASAP will be in your best interest as opposed to having the police bring you in. Even if the police don't actively search for you, you will always have to worry about this coming up. It could be discovered on an employment background check or if you are ever stopped by the police for just even a traffic stop (speeding, etc.).

At this point, you need to consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.