How can I get my green card?

I am from Bulgaria and am working here in the US with a J1 visa. My uncle has lived here for 9 years and has his has green card. Is there any way I can get a green card, too? How can he help me for that? What should I do?

Asked on July 19, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your uncle is not able to sponsor you because this is not a qualifying family relationship for immigration purposes.  However, if you are employed in the US, your employer may be able to petition for your permanent residence if you have an offer of permanent, fulltime employment from that employer.  The process will take some time but in the meantime, you can continue working for the employer if you also get a nonimmigrant work visa such as H-1B.  Assuming your J-1 does not have the conditional 2 year home residency requirement attached to it, you can complete the entire process within the US.  Another option is through family-based immigration such as via lawful bona fide marriage to a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.