What to do if my car dealership provides pickup and delivery service for scheduled maintenance and their employee/driver was involved in an accident while he was delivering my car back to me?

As of now, the dealership is only willing to pay for the damages to my car but they’re not taking responsibility on the damage done to the other car involved. The driver of the other vehicle is making a claim against my insurance. I am afraid that a claim on my insurance will raise my premium. Shouldn’t the claim be against my dealership since they were providing the pickup and delivery service?

Asked on March 8, 2013 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The owner of a car is responsible for damage done when someone he permits to drive a car causes damage or injuries to another, so the other driver could seek compensation from you. The other driver could sue the dealership, but equally could choose to sue you--you don't have any say over whom he chooses to go after. You could in turn, if the other driver proceeds against you, sue the dealership and/or the dealership employee driving your car, on the grounds it was the employee's negligence (careless driving) which caused the damage. You don't have to take the dealership's refusal to pay at face value--you can take action to force them to pay for damage they caused.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.