Heirship affidavit

My dad died about 3 years ago and was recently informed that some money was left and is still currently in the bank in which his former wife wasn’t aware of the account he had which came from an settlement from my understanding. The bank teller informed me that I need and heirship affidavit but I have no contact with the wife. Does she have to be involved?

Asked on January 10, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you mean "former wife" in that she is the widow, then she does need to be involved in the process and also sign an affidavit of heirship.
If you mean "ex-wife" and that she divorced him before he died....and there is no question that the funds were your dad's because the funds were his after the divorce, then you do not need to involve her.
If you are not sure whether the funds were awarded to your dad by the divorce, then you need to visit with an attorney to help you determine if the ownership of the funds were in fact resolved by the divorce decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.