healthcare company mistakenly paid benefits – wants reimbursement

my healthcare company sent me a letter dated 3/17/2017 that they reimbursed me
for a medical claim with a date of service of 1/26/16 and that the reimbursement
was incorrect – they shouldn’t have reimbursed it. It’s for roughly 1,300. Can
they do this 14 months later? Isn’t there some sort of statute of limitations?

Asked on March 14, 2017 under Insurance Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there is a statute of limitations, but in your state it is 6 years (it is the SOL for a contract, since this is pursuant to your healthcare coverage, which is a contract)--they are well in time to seek recovery of an overpayment. And if they did overpay you, you'll have to return the money: the law is very clear that an error does not entitle you to keep money to which you otherwise do not have any right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.