What to do about a provder that won’t co-operate with my insurer?

I went to ER 9 months ago and they did some tests. The provider billed my insurance but my the insurer said that they had the wrong code so denied it. I and asked them to bill again but the provider didn’t correct it and billed us instead. I called and my insurer who called them about this but they won’t budge. Finally, they gave the account to a collection agency. What should I do? Is that my responsibility to pay the whole amount ?

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way to resolve the situation that you are in is to write your medical provider and your insurer a letter demanding that they get the issue of billing issue squared away immediately. If such does not happen, then you need to make a complaint with the American Medical Association in your state against the provider. Another option is for you to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to force the issue with the medical provider and your health insurer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.