What are my rights regarding awork-related injury?

I was injured at work and I’m receiving workman’s comp while I am out. I tripped on a faulty metal grate at work and hit my head receiving a concussion, now I have post concussion syndrome. I am thinking of consulting a lawyer because my doctor is having difficulty treating my symptoms and I’m not getting any better. The problem is, I am moving out of state (FL). Would moving be a problem to my case? Would a personl injury lawyer take this case and would I be shut off of worker’s comp? In Worcester County, MA.

Asked on September 24, 2010 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Workmen's compensation is available to those who are injured at work through no fault of their own.  What usually occurs can be a quick recovery or a long, drawn out series of hearings to obtain funds.  If you are having trouble getting better and have consulted more than one doctor, it may be time to consult with a labor workmen's comp lawyer to discuss the possibility your injury caused you permanent disability.  It will be an issue for you if you are moving, not only from the perspective of having to come to Massachusetts for any hearings or meetings (this is the state where the injury occurred) but the fact of moving may be taken as a sign you are getting better. Consult with a lawyer to help you better understand your options and potential impacts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.