he just found over4 years that he might be still married to her. Bu i married him in 2014 she told him she didnot mail the married licsence.now she said they still married what can we do

My husband just found be might be still married to his grist wife but she said she didn’t mail the married license.But he married to me now a.what can we do and find out if this true

Asked on April 19, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

you can call the courthouse that would have had jurisdiction over the divorce (typvically the one in the county where your husband's "ex" lived). In most states, divorce records are public record. A clerk of the court should be able to give you the necessary information. Or you cn go to the local courthouse web access page (if there is one). If so, it will allow you to search public court records for case. If your hudband's divorce was finalized, the website will indicate that the case is closed. You can also contact the vital statics office in the state where you think the divorce was filed; it should ne able to tell you if one was granted. Finally, there are services that you can hire to check on this for you. If, you discover that no divorce was in fact filed and finalized, then your marriage is null and void. This means that in the eyes of the law it is as though it never took place. Accordingly, your "husband" will have to obtain a divorce from his wife and re-marry you. At this point, you should consult directly with a family law attorney; they can best further advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.