He has moved out

If my husband has moved out and refuses to give me any info about the mortgage nor the bills, what can i do to protect myself from getting evicted? we also have an 8yr old child

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to see an experienced divorce lawyer, as soon as possible.  One place to find qualified attorneys in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

With a home and a child, you have to act now, and you have to choose the right approach.  You should collect and protect whatever financial information you can get your hands on -- tax returns, bank statements, anything like that -- make a set of copies, bring it all to your attorney, who will want to get as much of the facts as possible.

The process differs somewhat, from one state to the next, and I'm not an Illinois lawyer.  But there is absolutely a way to apply for child support, immediately, and if you file a divorce complaint, you can probably ask for temporary alimony and maybe some money for your legal fees, depending on all the facts.  I very much doubt that any court would allow your mortgage to go into foreclosure if it can be prevented -- but you have to act, to let the court help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.