If I’m having a charity event at a residential property for around 60 guests, do I need event insurance or will a liability release form suffice?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to have insurance for liability issues with respect to the charity event at the residence that you are writing about BUT having such in place for liability is suggested. A release from liability will not suffice to protect you from possible liability arising from a dangerous condition at the residence. I suggest that you consult with the presumed insurance agent for your home's policy and get a binder in place for the upcoming charitable event.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.