Have you ever stayed in the US longer than the admission period granted to you by the US government?

I’m applying for ESTA Electronic System for Travel Authorization. What to
answer this question? Have you ever stayed in the United States longer than
the admission period granted to you by the U.S. government?


I was in USA with Visa waiver program more than 3 month, the reason I stay
because my son apply for me permanent resident card since the process
took almost more than 11 month of waiting my mom die and forced to go for
her funeral then in between they send me a paper for interview schedule
since I can’t appear for in person interview they sent me denial of permanent
resident because I didn’t show for interview. So the question now does it
consider I stay longer than the admission period or not?

Thanks for your advise


Asked on November 5, 2017 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

why didn't you request a rescheduling of your interview if you could not attend?  at this point, you will need to reapply and have your son repetition for you.  however, because of your overstay, you most likely will not be allowed to enter on the ESTA and will instead have to go through consular processing.   Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.