If Ihave been with partner for 10 years and we have a child together, as an I’m an illegal alien do I have any rigths?

We are currently separated.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your status as an illegal alien is separate and apart from your rights to your child, but it could have some impact down the road.  You as a parent have the same rights to your child as the other parent.  If you are the Mother and there has not been a legal establishment of paternity then only you are the legal guardian of the child.  If you are the Father then you need to estav=blish paternity and custidy through the courts.  Get help on both issues.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.