What to do if a person writes you a check and then closes the account before you can cash them?

I have someone who owes me money. She wrote a $500 check,which came back NSF. She wrote me 2 new ones post marked for the 30th and 31st of each month for $2500 each. Then on the 29th of last month, she texted me and said the account has been closed and I can’t cash them. What can I do?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In your local District Court, you can file either a private criminal complaint  ( if you believe her actions were intentional and criminal  ) or preferrably a cic=vil complaint ( a lawsuit, perhaps alleging breach of a verbal contract or loan ).  If you have a Notice from her bank confirming she wrote you a check and the account had insufficient funds, keep that Notice as part of your evidence. If you prvail in District Court, the judge will award you the costs of filing and serving the civil complaint on her. ater, if she does not appeal, you can record the award ( the judgment ) against her. It is then possible to have the sheriff enforce the judgment through a sheriff's sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.