Have a court date tomorrow I thought was on June 5th. Can’t be back in time for it what should I do?

Actually on June 1st I have June 5th as
date and am leaving vacation to head
back what should I do?

Asked on May 31, 2017 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Don't simply do nothing: contact the courthouse clerk and explain the situation; ask if the case can be adjourned or moved to a different date. Also ask the prosecutor if they will consent to an adjournment--if they will, the court will almost certainly agree (in fact, it's best to ask the prosecutor first, to see if you can get their consent before asking the court). Under the circumstances, an adjournment will likely be granted; whereas if you simply fail to show up, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.