Has my former company violated the law?

I was working for a company that was charging one of our clients for services they were not getting. They had a contract that said we would do a service for them 5 days a week but we were only going 4. Is that something that is a breach of their contract or breaking the law? My former company was also charging the same customer a dedicated trucking service but was doing business for other companies using the same dedicated truck. When I found this out and brought it up I was told not to say anything about it or it could cost me my job. Nothing ever changed so I quit. I want to know if they did something illegal so I can bring it to light. I could just walk away but I don’t believe it is right for them to get away with it if it is not legal.

Asked on December 17, 2017 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is not "illegal" in the sense of being against a law, since there are no laws saying how many days a service like this should be provided, or that a truck has to be dedicated. It is a breach of the contract, however, between the two companies, if your former company is not giving the client/customer what they agreed to and what the client/customer paid for. The client/customer could sue your former employer for "breach of contract": for not honoring their agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.