Must I submit to a paternity test?

I had relationship with married woman 4 years ago she is now going through a devorice and they discovered that that not his child. He wants to give up parental rights. She now wants me to take a DNA test.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No if "just" asked, but if she goes to court and gets a court order requiring you to submit to a paternity test, then you will have to do so; and the test reveals that you are the child's father, you could be required to pay child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.