Green card through family sponsorship

if a sibling is in USA on visit visa status and hher sibling files for a green
card then how long is the process for the sibling to receive adjustment of status
as well as temporary work permit social security etc.

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot count on this as the process for a sibling sponsored petition is currently about 10-12 years.  There is no work permit or right to remain in the US while the process is pending.  The most you can do is have the petition filed although the foreign national sibling does not need to be physically present in the US in order for this to happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.