grandson moves into my house without my permission I know he is there, he and wife seperate, she has him removed, moves in, how to evict her

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am unclear about this situation.  Do they pay rent?  Do you live in the house?  How long have they lived there?  Although you say they moved in without your permission did you do anything about it?  If she is at your home unlawfully she is a trespasser: she intentionally and without consent or permission entered your house.  An easy way to "evict" her is to call the police and have her arrested, but depending on the answer to the questions I asked, that may be an issue.   You need to seek legal help on the best way to get her out.  At the very least she may be a squatter.  You can look here at for starters.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.