If I got married to a US citizen and am applying for a green card but am currently holding a H1B visa, do I need to file form I-765 along with form I-485?

The H1B visa valid for another 2 years.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, Virginia


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. If you do not intend to work any where else, you do not need to submit the I-765. However, there is no additional fee. In addition, most districts process in about 4 months, which is about the same time it takes to get an approved I-765. We always recommend it, because you never know if you may need it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.