If I want to get a divorce, where do I start?

I got married at 18 realized it was a mistake, so I left him a few months after later. Now, 5 years later, I want to divorce him. We have no shared bills; we don’t talk to each other. How complicated will it be? Also, I do not work and he has no job. We both live in the same state, just in separate cities. Do I file where I live or where he does? He has agreed it is time for a divorce and is willing to sign all papers.

Asked on July 23, 2015 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You start the process by filing a petition for divorce.  This is basically your request to the court to grant you a divorce.  The last step is to provide the court with a proposed final order-- which grants the divorce and any other relief that you are requesting. 

Considering that you have no children together, everything is already divided, and you don't have much to fuss over... then this should be a quick and easy process.  You can probably file the divorce action in either jurisdiction.  I would suggest picking the jurisdiction that has the most resources available for pro se (self representation) litigants.  More and more jurisdictions are offering assistance with legal clinics and forms for people who are trying to complete their divorce actions.  Call the district clerk in both jurisdictions.  Find out what is available... and then leverage these resources to help guide you through the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.