If I got charged with assault 4 1/2 years ago and am finally going to court next week, will I get jail time?

What do you think will happen since it’s an old case?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No one can really guarantee what will happen on your case.  If the victim is still mad and you get a highstrung prosecutor, then they may want a higher punishment.  However, I would agree with the attorney that you visited with, that you could get probation.  If you don't have much history and the assault was only a misdemeanor, you probably have a good chane at getting probation... or even a conditional dismissal.
In Texas, assaults can be prosecuted in municipal court, JP Court, county court, or district court.  District courts handle the felony level assaults.  The county courts handle the ones that could result in county jail time and that are misdemeanors.  JP and municipal court cases tend to be fine only assault offenses.  So... if you are going to court for JP or municipal court... you looking at a fine.... at the most.  If you are going to county or district court, you would have the right to ask for a court appointed attorney since you could be assessed jail time in either court.  Utlize this right.  Considering the age on your case, you may have certain defenses, including a speedy trial violation, that even a court appointed attorney could assist you with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.