What can I do if I got a divorced last year and my ex-husband had 30 days to remortgage property and remove me from mortgage obligation but failed to do so?

I quit claim deeded the property to him. For whatever reason, he said he “couldn’t” and has had the property up for sale with a realtor. He got remarried several weeks ago and they secured a new home for themselves. In today’s market, the property is worth less than what is owed and his realtor wants me to sign a short sale third party authorization form (the mortgage company will not release me as the co-borrower on the mortgage). What should I do?

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Seek legal help and have the attorney review the documents provided to you and draw up a document that has him hold you harlmess for the contigency that may result from the deficit in the sale versus the mortgage and then sue him for the monies should you be sued. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.