What do I do if I’m am supposed to be in court next week as a witness and I have tried to contact the DA for 2 days but he’s at a conference?

The court that they called me to is located in another part of the state and I’m only 19 and have no way of getting there.

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Uncategorized, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Try to contact someone else in the DA's office such as an assistant DA and ask if you can make a telephone appearance at the hearing.  If the DA's office agrees, ask them to file the documents with the court requesting a telephone appearance.  If the court approves the telephone appearance, you will need the telephone number to call at the time of the hearing.  A telephonic appearance is an alternative to being physically present in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.