What to do if I bought a car from a local dealer but have not recieved my tags yet after 2 months?

They are telling that they have contacted the DMV office (in the state where the car was last titled) to have the title sent and they have not recieved it yet. I have already made 2 payments on a vehicle I can no longer drive because the 30 day tags have expired. They have let me use a loner vehicle that really is not an equivalent vehicle for me. I have to go back to the dealer once a week to have them reassign the loaner to me and it’s becoming a big pain. What recourse do I have?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under General Practice, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write the car dealership a letter stating that if you do not have the registration for the car that you purchased in your name by a certain date with applicable "tags" that you will return it in exchange for a full refund of the vehicle's purchase. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If the demand date comes and goes and you do have not received valid registration for the vehicle, return it to the dealership to rescind the purchase. If the dealership refuses, then you should consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to see what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.