What is my responsibility to a business that I no longer work for?

Last year in my role as operations director with a company, I terminated an employee who retaliated with a wage complaint. Through the advisement of a company attorney and an outsources HR. I did my due diligence to respond to the complaint. I have since left the company. Apparently this matter has escalated legally since my departure with the former employee requesting a significant amount in back pay. My former employer has requested I sign an affidavit related to my role in the termination of the employee. Am I obligated to sign this affidavit? If so, what would be my possible responsibility in this matter should it make its way into a courtroom? I prefer to not sign the affidavit as I am no longer an employee of the company. I well documented my account of what happened which was included in the position statement drafted by the attorney with my signature. I’d rather not be engaged further in the matter.

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Business Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are not named in the lawsuit you are technically not obligated to cooperate with your former employer legally with respect to the matter. However, from a moral perspective you need to think and do what is the right thing to help your former employer. Potentially you could be subpoenaed for a deposition or trial. As such, it is best to try and help your former employer the best you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.