What to do if the mother of my children is being unreasonable and will not allow me to speak to them?

Our children are 3 and 4 I have been taking are of all them including her for the last 4 years financially. About 11 months ago, she decided to move out of state. Since then she has moved our children to 3 different households and now is becoming very unreasonable and confrontational. I am a very active parent in my children’s life and travel there every month to visit them. I was inquiring about what if any options I have.

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You do indeed sound like a very active and loving Dad.  But may I ask: are you married to their mother?  If not, do you have an order of custody?  If the answer here is no then you need to get ana ttorney and establish custody and visitation.  The problem is that you need to do so in the state in which they now reside.  Please get legal help to establish your rights here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.