Gifting half of a property

Can I gift my half of a property that I own with
my parent to that same parent or do I have to
notify them of this transaction? Can I just have
the deeds changed or are there further actions

Asked on December 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Are you talking about the prearation of a new deed for filing?  That deed will require all signatures, including the parent's signature that you own it with.  So they will have to consent to the transaction and be a part of it before the new deed can be filed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.