How to get a permanant residency/green card for my boyfriend?

I have been dating a Turkish man for a year now. We met last year when he came over on a J1 visa. We spent the summer together and fell in love. It was a terrible time for us when he had to go back to turkey. He is back again this summer on a J1. We are very serious about eachother and have decided that eventually we want to be married. We don’t want to be separated again so he is willing to try any legal ways to stay here. We need to know how we can accomplish this. My family and I are willing to to sponsor him if necessary. How can we Start the process so he can stay?

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Immigration Law, Maine


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He can only stay in the US lawfully once he finishes his J-1 program, if you actually get married and then petition for his permanent residence on the basis of marriage.  There is no other way for you to sponsor him to stay in the US. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.