How do you get a court date changed due to an inury?

My friend has a court date for 2 misdemeanors and she needed to get a public defender. She had 2 weeks to do this but the first week they said she needed more documents and that she should come back next week. Before that could happen she was in a terrible accident and couldn’t go because she was in the hospital. Now she is supposed to be in bed but the court date is in 2 days. Is there anyway we can get the court date postponed? We have documents saying she’s in bed and we can get a note from the hospital if need be.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she needs to contact the court immediately and attempt to request a court date over the phone. Not certain of the charge, but often if the charge is a misdemeanor offense she may be able to have her arraignment date rescheduled. At the very least contact the court to avoid having a warrant issued due to her missing an already scheduled court appearance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.