How to get a certified copy of death certificate?

My aunt died about a year ago and my mother had to pick up the funeral costs from her own pocket. My mom received a all from my aunts ex-husband’s son saying that there was a policy from my uncle that was in my aunt’s name and sent the letter to my mother. In contacting the insurance company they said they would need a certified copy of my aunt and uncle’s death certificate. We have one of my aunts but can’t get a certified copy from the state. We have tried contacting the son but he will not return our calls. Is there anything else we can do. Can we hire a lawyer in behalf of my mom or aunt?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The way one obtains a certified copy of a death certificate is to go down to the county record's department (office of vital statistics) in the county where the person passed away and order the death certificate. This is the same county office that issues marriage certificates as well. Be prepared to give the date and year of passing.

Given issues of identity theft that is prevalent in this country, you will have to show identification to obtain the certified copy of the death certificate and give the reasons why it is needed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.