General Contractor Billing Dispute

We are nearing the end of a remodeling project and have been reviewing the general contractors invoices. I have promptly paid all but the most recent invoices, but noticed a duplicate invoice. It is an exact duplicate and was paid along with the original. The GC claims that their billing is incremental and each invoice can include adjustments. This is clearly not the case with the duplicate bill, but the GC will not acknowledge it. We are in North Carolina and the State licensing board does not provide a dispute resolution service. What is my best option?

Asked on August 29, 2018 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you can't work it out with the GC, your only real option is to refuse to pay. If they are not willing to let it go, they could sue you for that invoice; in the lawsuit, they will have to prove that it is a new charge and you can in turn provide evidence that it is duplicative; a court will decide who is right, and order whether or not you have to pay. If it's not worth the time, stress, etc. of having to potentially defend a lawsuit (i.e. if it's not that large a bill), you may be best off paying it even if you feel it duplicative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.