What can be done about a garnishment?

I am being garnished for a medical bill. This bill is in my soon to be ex-wife’s name. We have not filed as of yet because she has moved out of state. We are going to go Pro-Se but getting the paperwork all together has been a problem logistically. 2 things about this: 1) she has called both the hospital and the lawyer’s office and tried to set up payments but they refuse; and 2) this medical bill occur from a visit to the Free Clinic. She was told there was no charge, but the hospital charged her anyway. Is there anything that can be done? To stop or at least postpone this until after Christmas?

Asked on December 6, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the amount of the medical bill, you may want to consider filing bankruptcy which would stop a wage garnishment.  Your income and other factors will determine your eligibility to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.