What steps to I have to take in court to have to have a garnishment reduced?

I have a current garnishment for a credit card debt collection. The creditors have agreed to reduce the amount from 25% to 12%.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have an agreement with the judgment creditors to reduce the percentage of your pay check from 25% to 12% you need to have a written agreement to that effect signed by you and the creditor and an order reflecting this (to be signed by the judge) filed with the court.

After the order is signed and filed with the court, a copy of it needs to be served upon your employer so that the reduction in your pay check is now 12%. There needs to be a proof of service filed with the court stating that your employer was served with this order.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.