If the company I work for has a government contract and is overcharging them on hours worked and material from what is written in their contract, is that fraud?

As employee do I have the right to walk away from my job so I’m not involved? Can I ask them to void my non-compete so I can work in the same field?

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you might need to be a whistleblower but keep in mind, you need to report this if there is actual fraud in the contract. Whistleblower statutes should protect you. You have a right to walk away, without issue but as to your non-compete you need to find out whether non-competes are considered illegal in the state in which you reside. If they are, you should have no problem as the non-compete would be voidable or void since it is illegal. If non-competes are legal, you need to indicate that since the company committed fraud, you consider the non-compete voidable. Talk to an attorney and see what your options are. You may simply need to be that whistleblower but tread carefully.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.