What to do if I found metal objects in my boxed dinner?

I prepared a box of a dinner kit. When I was in the middle of my meal, I bit down on something extremely hard and chipped a tooth. I pulled out the foreign object only to discover it was 2 small metal links.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There are a couple of things that you can do, depending on the severity of your injury and what you would like to see happen.  Many products contain 1-800 numbers that you can call to report issues like this one.  This is a way to notify the company of the issue and see if they are willing to pay for the damage to your tooth.  They may ask you to send the metal links to them.  However, keep in mind that once you do, you may never see the links again--- which are your only evidence that something happened.  Another option is to visit with a person injury attorney about whether to file a lawsuit.  Foreign objects in food items are a common basis for personal injury lawsuits.  This does not, however, mean that it will automatically be a windfall.  A personal injury attorney can help you evaluate the specific nature of your case, send a basic demand letter for repayment of the injury you suffered, and file a lawsuit if necessary.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.