What to do about false charges/fees and a forged signatures regarding a llease?

I received a collection notice from previous apartment complex stating we owed $971 for ridiculous charges such as pet deposit when I don’t own any animal, plus carpet replacement and so forth. As of right now that information is in dispute. When the complex sent the copy of the description of the charges. I was able to find the original copy and the signatures are beyond different from the original I have in my hand. No one gave us a walk-through of the apartments prior to moving out and clearly the signatures were both tampered with.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have received documentation from your former apartment complex claiming that you owe $971.00 for disputed charges where the signatures on the documents sent you appear to have been tampered with compared to the document you have in hand, you should do the following:

1. write the former apartment complex a letter in response to the demand that you received stating the shortfalls concerning it and possible signature tampering, advise that you will be consulting with an attorney and request a response in return. Keep a copy of this letter for future reference.

2. if you get a response to this letter still demanding payment, be prepared to be involved in a small claims action.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.