Foreclosure ten years ago bank has open a case in court

Hi I lost my house in 2007 in Fl I
tried to save it in many ways lost my
job couldn’t afford my mortgage. I had
the mortgage with 2 banks now one of
the just open a case trying to collect
money. The property went to foreclosure
and was sold after a year . I moved to
CT and bought another property here.
Can they put a lien in these property
or go after my assets like tax refund .
I recently lost my job barely my
payment for this new home and
collecting unemployment now . I need an
advise please I am afraid to lose the
home again

Asked on March 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If they have sued you personally (not just foreclosed) previously for the money and got a judgment in their favor, or successfully sue you now for the money and win, getting a judgment, then if you don't pay what you owe and/or work out a payment plan they agree to, they can potentially put a lien on your new home as a way to secure payment. Liens are one mechanism that creditors, including judgment creditors (people or businesses who sue you and win) can use to get payment when the debtor does not pay. There does need to be a court judgment in their favor, which is what would give them the right to apply to the court for the lien.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.