Foreclosed home in Michigan

I had a home foreclosed on 3 years ago.
I had 2 mortgages on the house, a small
and a big one. I settled with the bank
for a less amount on the small loan. I
never received anything from the bank
on the larger loan. I recently found
out they the bank is holding me
delinquent for the difference of what
the house was worth and the price it
was sold for.
My question is am I liable for that

Asked on August 25, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When a lender forecloses on a mortgage, the total debt owed by the borrower frequently is greater than the foreclosure sale price. This difference is called a “deficiency". In most states, including MI, the lender can seek a judgment against the debtor to recover the amount of the deficiency. As a general rule, once the lender is awarded such a judgment by a court, it may collect this amount from the borrower and if the borrower does not voluntarily pay, the lender can garnish the borrower’s wages or attach the borrower’s bank account or lien other property owned by the borrower (real or personal).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.