Is forcing the sale of a co-owned house possible?

My ex-girlfriend and I bought a house almost 6 months ago. 3 months later, I discovered her adulterous behavior and terminated the relationship and moved out. The mortgage and title are in both of our names. She was the sole investor in purchasing the home, I only signed on because she wasn’t approved for the full amount. So the earnest money, the deposit, all that was funded by her. She was looking into refinancing to remove me from the loan so I could just quitclaim deed my half to her but was denied the same day she lost her job. So now she has no income and no way to refinance. I want her to sell the property to get it out of my name, however I also am not interested in any of the sale profits, as I’m financially even minus half of 4 months payments. Would I go the partition action route since I have no interest in any of the value in the home?

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

That is correct: while a co-owner can force the sale of the home, the only way to do so is by an action for partition. The court can--and in a case like this, probably will--adjust how much each owner gets from the sale, to reflect her larger contribution (which does not appear to be an issue for you), but at least this will get you out from under the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.