For the Americans with Disability Act for a job accommodation, what are the responsibilities of a fortune 50 employer?

Is there a time limit involved? Can a person with a disability be released form the company?

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The responsibilities of any employer are to make "reasonable accommodatons." Reasonable accommodations are ones that are not too costly or disruptive and which let the employee do his or her job. Common examples include phones with amplification or software to convert voice mail to text for deaf employees, or voice recognition software for employees with visual impairments; letting diabetic employees take extra snack breaks to balance their sugar level, or letting IBS or incontenent employees have extra bathroom breaks; etc. 

The employer is not required to give the employee a different job or to change the employee's responsibilities; or to let the employee work from home instead of on site, or to work shorter hours. If the employee cannot, even with a reasonable accommodation, do his or her job, he or she may be terminated; and the employee may be fired for any non-disability-related reasons, like poor performance, absenteeism, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.