Can I take the medical practice of which I am a patient to court for giving me too much pain medicine causing my addiction and unbearable withdrawal?

For almost 10 years I have had the same doctor treating me for a severe spinal injury. I have been prescribed the following every month: 80mg. Oxycontin ie 8 tabs 3x’s a day. 10 mg. Methadone ie 13 tabs 3x’s a day. 30mg. Oxycodone 1-2 tabs 3x’s a day. My Dr. suddenly went on medical leave and a series of Dr’s within the practice have nervously passed me around not wanting to sign their name to the monthly scripts. This is the 3rd month and I was told the day my meds were due I would not be prescribed these meds because these Dr’s feel it’s wrong and an irresponsible liablity to the new doctor. Can I take the practice to court for giving me this much medicine monthly causing my addiction and unbearable withdrawals currently?

Asked on June 13, 2014 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue the prescribing doctor and the practice if the amount of pain medicine prescribed you was inappropriate--that is, it went beyond generally accepted medical standnards for the treatment of your condition. If that's the case, this may be malpractice. On the hand, since there generally are a range of treatment options and no single "right" treatment, if the amount, type, etc. of pain medicine prescribed you falls within the accepted parameters for treatment of your condition, then the doctor and practice most likely did nothing wrong and there would be no liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.