For a simple will for a resident of Florida, do you need a lawyer or can a notary stamp your requests?

If the Florida resident is residing in Massachusetts presently, can a simple will be notorized here?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  A will can be executed in any state.  You generally need a witness.  you also need to sign the will in front of the witness.  Some states require 2 witnesses for valid execution.  You need to find out if that is the case in FL-  i believe it is....  I suggest hiring a lawyer to draft the will to make sure that the document reflects its true intent.  Wills do not cost that much to have done, especially a simple will. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.