For a car accident case where the police report clearly states I’m not at fault, how do I submit medical bills to the other party’s insurer?

Police report states that they were the striking vehicle and that the “failed to yield”. My auto insurance doesn’t cover medical bills. The medical bills are less than $1000, thought they will be paying my car insurance company something like $8000 for repairs to my cars. How / who do I submit these bills while avoiding litigation. I just want to have them do the right thing and have them cover my expenses.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming there is a claim established with the other driver's insurance company.  You would need to contact the adjustor handling this claim and tell them you have medical bills relating to the accident to submit.  They are going to want medical records and the associated bills.  In addition to your medical bills and lost wages, you are also entitled to compensation for pain and suffering.  It would be best for you to at least consult with a personal injury attorney prior to handling this yourself.  Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.