Food Stamp Fraud in Oregon

I am being investigated for Food Stamp Fraud in Oregon. I did not report my husband’s income for 4 months while received the food stamps. I have been paying the overpayment back. What is the worst thing they will probably do to me? I have no record and I am just worried for my kids, husband and myself. I don’t want a felony on my record for this one lapse in judgement.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First off, food stamp fraud is actionable under both federal and state law.  However, if it's only 4 months of overpayments, restition is being made, you have been co-operative, and, hopefully have an otherwise clean criminal record, it's doubtful they will saddle you with a felony.

Here's a site that you will find to be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.