What to do if I used to be a liability adjuster directly employed with a large insurance company and have now been personally named in a lawsuit for an old claim?

I have since quit and am no longer in insurance. I just received a call from a bad faith defense attorney to notify me that, in addition to my former insurance company employer, was personally named in a lawsuit for a claim I once handled. It was filed by the claimant attorney (not the insured), who’s arguing we misrepresented evidence (absolutely not true). The defense attorney reassured that the bad faith allegations are flimsy and ultimately a tactic to leverage a settlement. Since I am no longer employed with the insurance company, do I have a personal exposure in anyway?

Asked on February 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have personally exposure IF you acted (but of course, an allegation that you acted in the following way is enough to at least force you to defend yourself) "tortiously," or wrongfully. So you would not be liable just because you were an employee at that time; but if you did commit a misrepresentation, which is a wrongful or tortious act, you could be held liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.